How can I make a floury potato
Floury vs. waxy: Which potatoes are best suited for
"Firm boiling", "floury" or "predominantly firm boiling" - this is how potatoes are labeled in German supermarkets. Here's what you should know about the labels before you start cooking.
Whether fried, deep-fried, mashed, cooked with or without the peel - the potato is an important component of many nutritious dishes. According to the World Food Organization FAO, the potato is one of the 13 most important staple foods. The nightshade plant, which was imported from South America to Europe by Spanish sailors around 1600, was initially considered an ornamental plant in Europe because of its beautiful flowers.
Potatoes became popular in Germany after the Prussian King Frederick the Great issued an instruction in 1756 to cultivate the plant for food. On average, every German today eats around 60 kilograms of potatoes a year.
It's in the potato
Potatoes, also known as potatoes, contain a lot of carbohydrates, fiber, vegetable protein and amino acids, but almost no fat. That is why they are also well suited as filling agents for diets.
Potatoes are also known to be high in starch. It is precisely this ingredient that defines the three categories into which potatoes are divided: waxy, predominantly waxy and floury (boiling). Because the more starch a potato tuber contains, the looser it becomes when cooked.
These potatoes have a fine-grained, moist flesh. Their shape is oblong to oval. Their starch content is eleven to 13 percent. Your shell will therefore not burst open when you cook it. In the supermarket, waxy potatoes are marked with a green color code. The earlier in the year it is harvested, the milder in taste.
Waxy potatoes are particularly suitable for dishes such as:
- potato salad
- fried potatoes
- Potato pancakes / hash browns
- Jacket potatoes
- Parsley potatoes
- Salt potatoes
- potato gratin
Common types of potatoes with waxy properties are:
Potatoes that are classified as predominantly waxy contain 13 to 15 percent starch. When frying or deep-frying, they therefore develop an appetizing tan. The tubers are medium firm and drier than waxy ones after cooking. The shell bursts easily when cooking. When sold, they are marked with a red color code.
Predominantly waxy potatoes are particularly suitable for dishes such as:
- Hash browns
- Salt potatoes
- French fries
Common potato varieties with predominantly waxy properties are:
Floury potatoes usually ripen later and therefore taste strong and aromatic. The meat is coarser than the other types of cooking, rather dry and very soft. They contain 14 to 16 percent starch, which means that the tubers disintegrate over long cooking times and can be easily chopped up. Floury potatoes are marked with the blue color code in the supermarket.
A hot potato: The cracked peel indicates a high starch content. (Source: imago images)
Floury potatoes are particularly suitable for dishes such as:
- Open potatoes
- Grilled potatoes
Common potato varieties with floury cooking properties are:
When in doubt for preference
For dishes where the consistency of the potato is essential, such as fried potatoes, you should adhere to the recipe when choosing between waxy, predominantly waxy or floury. After all, it is not possible to make crispy fried potatoes from floury potatoes or to cook a light puree with waxy potatoes.
For dishes such as boiled potatoes, however, the type of tubers you choose depends primarily on your personal taste.
more on the subject
- To eat and drink,
- Potato salad,
- Potato soup,
- Fried potatoes,
- How will you support a non-profit organization
- How would Africa benefit from communism?
- Is Florida in the southern United States
- How was your shopping experience at Flipkart
- How do you answer rhetorical questions
- How to brew cider at home
- Why do programmers wear headphones?
- Is it legal to buy dogs online
- What does the double standards of doctors prove?
- How are Korean pianos made
- What is the past participle of throwing
- What are some examples of microaerophilic organisms
- Why is gravity g always negative
- Which is the best science TV show
- What do you think about existentialism
- What is the best platform for marketing
- How is currency speculation not theft
- How do I start selling?
- What are the cons of Windows
- What are some must have git aliases
- How are Rossi guns advertised
- Let gardening live longer
- What is a public advocacy group
- Can you overdose on Vyvanse?
- What religion is there in Europe
- What is the importance of computer technology
- How do you stop gravity
- What life lessons were taught by kings
- When can we use an intra-arterial injection?
- How can I improve my eyeliner technique
- What does Mondale liberal mean
- Who are the people of God
- Is it difficult to operate a DVR
- Who works in nuclear medicine