Why do people cuddle
Why cuddling is so good - and why it is important
Deceived by your own nerves
But what makes cuddling so pleasant? Part of this feeling of well-being is triggered by very special nerve fibers in our skin that only respond to slow, gentle touch. These nerves do not send their signals to the conscious part of our brain, but directly to our emotional center - and this triggers this immediate, positive effect of caressing.
Also amazing: These special nerves in our skin ensure that we perceive someone else's skin to be particularly soft, even if the object is not viewed at all. Our own senses therefore deceive us so that we find cuddling even more pleasant. "We found that particularly exciting about this illusion," says researcher Antje Gentsch from University College London. "It works best when the touch is intentional and corresponds to the optimal conditions for emotional touch."
Flooded with the "cuddle hormone"
But that's not all. Cuddling also releases a hormonal happiness maker, oxytocin. On the one hand, this messenger substance triggers a feeling of well-being and, on the other hand, takes away fears and mistrust. It can even go so far that, after a long round of cuddling, we overlook our neighbour's angry dog, for example. Because the cuddle hormone makes us more receptive to positive social signals, but at the same time inhibits our perception of potentially threatening stimuli - it gives us pink glasses, so to speak.
By the way, not only does cuddling with a person release the cuddle hormone in us - loving contact with our dog or another pet also causes this. In dogs, even looking intensely into each other's eyes is enough to raise the oxytocin levels in both humans and animals.
- Can we boil water with boiling water?
- Can Ambien be used to treat anxiety
- Can you play music in space
- What are amphibians
- Beignets taste similar to funnel cakes
- How does the computer access the ROM
- What is a needy patient
- What does 2 kg dumbbells mean
- India has roads
- How is Docker an improvement over LXC
- How can I make an Italian burger
- Who is a Class 1 Officer
- What are the technical specifications of Tecno Spark
- Where should road construction signs be attached?
- The Mexican Army is powerful
- Are there Turing machine simulators
- What is a good non-mac laptop
- Which cities get Jio fiber optic
- What is the best feeling
- What kind of IV creates pain
- How did Saul Bass create his posters
- What inspires children to collect coins
- Can light be a source of another light?
- What are androgynous singers