Is it worth taming a cat
Getting your dog and cat used to each other: Instructions
Dogs are often easier to train and train than cats - so the first thing you should do is establish firm rules for your dog. Cats are friends. They must never be hunted - not even when walking in the meadow or when walking past the neighbor's garden. The sooner you make it clear to your dog that cats are neither prey nor enemies, the more firmly this lesson will be remembered. The friendlier your dog approaches cats, the easier it will be to bring them together. You know your dog best, have trained him so far, and have a certain type of reward. In any case, praise works wonders if your four-legged friend behaves correctly - whether with the clicker or the treat!
Teaching cats that dogs are neither dangerous nor hostile is often more difficult. But independent cats can also be trained! Try to reward any contact with a dog and associate it with something positive. This can be a gentle stroke when your cat watches a strange dog through the living room window or a treat when it sits quietly on the fence while an unfamiliar four-legged friend approaches. Now it's time to get down to business. The better the preparation, the more successful the socialization will be!
Leave enough space
When dogs and cats are actually brought together in your home, both animals should initially have their own area and the opportunity to withdraw. The easiest way is often to separate them in two different rooms. The animals should not have any contact themselves for the first few days. But they carry blankets and toys from room to room, change the sleeping pillows in between and give cats and dogs the opportunity to get used to the smell of the strange animal. For example, you can wipe your cat with a soft cloth and then offer it to your dog.
Involve several people
If there is actual, personal contact between the animals, it is advisable to have a second or third person on site. In any case, these should be people who are familiar to both animals and who do not feel threatened by them!
Take the dog on a leash for the time being
As a rule, the cat is physically inferior to the larger dog. So keep your dog on a leash the first time it comes into contact. You can also use a tow leash depending on your dog's temperament.
The cat should be able to withdraw at any time. A tall scratching post or a cat bed on the closet or shelf provide resting places that most dogs cannot reach. Your cat will feel safe here. She can watch the tall, barking fellow from above and assure herself that he is not as dangerous as he looked at first glance.
Never lock the animals up
Please do not lock your cat in a box under any circumstances, so that it is "safe" - without a chance to escape it will feel constricted and threatened. Of course, this also applies to your dog. Under no circumstances should he have the feeling that he is in competition with the cat.
Separate feeding in the first few months
In the coming months you should make sure that your animals give each other enough space. A litter box is not a place to bury dog toys. The other person's food bowl should also be taboo. It may be easier to feed both animals separately at the beginning so that there is no rivalry. In addition, both cats and dogs should enjoy enough time with you. Cuddle as much as you can - no one has the feeling of being neglected!
Sometimes there is one step forward and two backward. To avoid problems, you should only leave both animals alone when they have gotten used to each other and show no signs of aggression. Depending on the character and previous experience of the animals, this can take hours, days or weeks. Don't give up and remember that there is no time pressure. The more relaxed you are, the more relaxed your animals will be.
- What is the full form of FRBA
- How cruel are animal experiments
- Men who are your style icons
- How big are blue dwarf stars
- You could check your email
- Why is random doodling considered an art?
- Regulations are always bad for Republicans
- What's the best job in Canada
- When can I update the content of my website?
- What do we call love in Afrikaans
- Which courses does the NLU offer
- When does this oil price crisis end?
- How is the climate in Nairobi
- What does a polishing compound
- What are some examples of microaerophilic organisms
- What is the botanical history of Nepenthes
- What are some good Catholic hymns
- What is the empirical formula of ethanol
- Do you know Sujok Therapy
- Have you ever bluffed yourself
- Can a president be immune to laws
- Why Everyone Hates Arrow Season 4
- What is the only question that counts
- Why is peak oil a problem
- Removes oil squeaks from leather shoes
- Are bears in the dog family
- Which artists did Pablo Picasso work with?
- Why are people afraid of knowledge
- Are you a psychotherapist
- Do you know magic
- How do field linguists work
- Do you see the YouTube channel TwoSetViolin
- How much do you miss your father
- Where did you publish your first article