How many users does WhatsApp have worldwide
How can we help you?
WhatsApp provides news, internet telephony and other services to users around the world. You can read more on the subject in our help section.
WhatsApp values the work of law enforcement agencies to keep people safe around the world. We are ready to carefully review, verify, and respond to law enforcement requests under applicable laws and guidelines.
The following operational guidelines apply to law enforcement personnel requesting data or records from WhatsApp. Users who wish to receive information about their own account can access WhatsApp's Request Account Info feature. This information can change at any time.
Handling inquiries from law enforcement agencies
In addition to this policy, law enforcement officials can also contact WhatsApp with questions or in an emergency as described below. For the fastest possible answer, please do not send criminal prosecution inquiries to WhatsApp support or via other communication channels that are not intended for law enforcement authorities.
US legal process requirements
- To enforce the disclosure of Basic Subscriber Information (BSI), a valid subpoena issued in connection with an official criminal investigation (defined in 18 U.S.C. § 2703 (c) (2)) is required; this can include the following: name, date of start of use, date of “last seen” time stamp, IP address (es) and e-mail address (es).
- An 18 U.S.C. Section 2703 (d) issued court order is required to compel disclosure of certain data, documents or other information relating to an account; this does not include the content of communications, but in addition to the general subscriber data mentioned above, it may also include telephone numbers that block the subscriber or that are blocked by him.
- If there is sufficient suspicion, a search warrant issued in accordance with the procedures described in the US federal regulations for criminal procedural law or the corresponding state regulations for searches is required in order to force the disclosure of the stored contents of an account; this may also include “info” information, profile pictures, group information and address book, if available. With the regular provision of our services, WhatsApp does not store any messages after they have been transmitted, nor does it store any transaction logs for these transmitted messages. Messages that have not been delivered will be deleted from our servers after 30 days. WhatsApp offers end-to-end encryption for our services, which is always activated.
- We interpret the provision on the national security letters in relation to WhatsApp to require the submission of only two categories of information: namely name and duration of use.
International legal process requirements
In connection with an official criminal investigation, if there is a pending notification of a formal legal process, we will take steps to retain account information for 90 days. You can quickly submit formal security requests through the WhatsApp Online Law Enforcement Request System as detailed below.
To respond to a matter that involves an imminent danger to a child or death, or serious physical harm to any person and which requires the immediate disclosure of information, a law enforcement agent can submit a request through WhatsApp's online law enforcement request system Submit. We recommend adding the word “EMERGENCY” to the subject of the e-mail so that these inquiries can be processed quickly.
Note: We will not review or respond to requests submitted by anyone who is not a law enforcement officer. Please send inquiries regarding emergency situations from an official, official e-mail address. Users who become aware of an emergency situation should contact their local law enforcement officers immediately.
Child safety issue
We report to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) all suspected child exploitation that appears on our service from anywhere in the world, including content that we learn from government inquiries. NCMEC works with the International Center for Missing and Exploited Children and law enforcement agencies around the world. If a request relates to a child exploitation or security matter, please include those circumstances and appropriate NCMEC reporting flags in your request to ensure that we can deal with these matters quickly and effectively.
Retention and Availability of Data
We will search for and disclose information that is detailed in an appropriate form of legal process and that we can reasonably locate and retrieve. We do not retain any data for law enforcement purposes unless we receive a valid backup request before a user has deleted such content from our service.
Form of inquiries
We cannot deal with overly broad or vague inquiries. All inquiries must precisely identify the requested data and contain the following:
- the name of the issuing authority, the official or ID number of the responsible representative, the e-mail address from a domain of the law enforcement authorities and a telephone number with a direct dial number
- the WhatsApp account number including the country code
- You can find more information on country codes in this article.
Consent of the user
When a law enforcement officer seeks information about a WhatsApp user who has given the officer permission to access or receive their account information, the user should be instructed to obtain this information from their account themselves. Users can access WhatsApp's Request Account Info feature.
WhatsApp reserves the right to inform people who use our service before disclosing requests for information, unless we are prohibited by law or in exceptional cases, e.g. B. in the case of child exploitation, emergencies or if notification would be counterproductive.
Expert opinions or witness statements
WhatsApp does not provide expert assistance. In addition, WhatsApp data is legally considered to be genuine and should not require an expert opinion / statement from an employee of a depositary. If a special form of confirmation is required, please enclose it with your data request.
According to the law, we can request a refund of the costs incurred in answering information requests. These fees are charged once per account. We can also charge additional fees for costs that arise in connection with answering unusual or complex inquiries. We can waive these fees in cases of investigations into potential harm to children, WhatsApp and our users as well as in urgent cases.
Law enforcement officials can use the online law enforcement request system to submit, track and process claims. A government issued email address is required to access the online law enforcement request system.
Law enforcement officers requesting account information from WhatsApp must direct their request to WhatsApp LLC.
Attention: WhatsApp LLC, Law Enforcement Response Team
1601 Willow Road
Menlo Park, California 94025
Law enforcement officers who do not submit queries through the Law Enforcement Online Application System should expect longer response times. Sending requests both electronically and on paper can increase turnaround time.
- Acceptance of legal proceedings by any of these methods is for the sake of simplicity and does not constitute a waiver of any objection (including lack of jurisdiction or defective service).
- We will not respond to correspondence sent to the above addresses by anyone who is not a law enforcement officer.
WhatsApp can update this information regularly. Please read the guidelines before submitting a request.
- Is DIPSAR a good college for MPharma
- What are some simple cardio workouts at home
- How can I learn to dance
- Is this a resend scam
- Why are you blessed with someone who is special
- How is trichotillomania different from alopecia areata
- Why are street tacos popular in America
- Beverly Cleary still writes books
- How can I invest in micro brands
- What are bad things about Tokyo
- What is the worst hotel in Marrakech
- Use fabric softener
- Why did innocent people die until proven guilty?
- Is veganism common in India?
- What is your opinion on Airtel Secure
- Is it bad to live with fear
- What are orthogonal vectors
- Gabon is a 3rd world country
- Is it good to eat maida
- How do you just travel to Europe
- Have you ever masturbated in your bed?
- Is secularism being exploited in India?
- Does the IPU offer English Hons
- Removes oil squeaks from leather shoes
- Is autowini com legitimate
- The Canadian workforce is ethnically diverse
- How stressful is studying architecture
- What are the hallucinations in human life
- Nuclear weapons would divide the earth
- How can you pass the English test
- Can cat callers become friends
- A starfish is a necton
- How do I pay eBay fees
- Is a gyrocopter difficult to fly