What kind of compound is potassium cyanide
Cyanide are salts and other compounds of hydrogen cyanide (Hydrogen cyanide, HCN). In organic chemistry, cyanides with the general formula R-C≡N are an outdated, but still common name for Nitriles. The name cyanide is derived from the Greek κυανός (blue) and comes from the extraction of iron hexacyanoferrate (Berlin blue), a not very stable pigment with a blue color.
The salty cyanides contain the cyanide anion [C≡N]−, the organic cyanides have the functional group -C≡N. Water-soluble cyanides are partially hydrolyzed in moist air and smell like hydrocyanic acid.
All alkali and alkaline earth salts of cyanides are highly toxic and easily soluble in water, such as potassium cyanide (cyanide). The toxicity of these salts is due to the release of hydrogen cyanide when it reacts with the hydrochloric acid of the stomach:
- KCN + HCl → HCN + KCl
Potassium cyanide is an important component in electroplating.
Complex compounds (cyano compounds)
The cyanide anion is very reactive and often forms very stable compounds with other metals (apart from alkali and alkaline earth metals), e.g. with iron. In many cases a new anion is formed, which consists of a metal and a fixed number (often four or six) cyanide building blocks. The metal forms the center and is surrounded by the cyanide ions (e.g. [Fe (CN)6]4-). A type of connection has formed which is known as a complex. A salt can form with cations (e.g. K4[Fe (CN)6], Potassium hexacyanoferrate (II), the so-called yellow blood liquor salt). In many complex compounds, the cyanide is so tightly bound that it has lost its toxicity (reactivity). However, hydrogen cyanide can be released, for example, by adding hot, dilute sulfuric acid, so it must be handled with a certain degree of caution. Concentrated sulfuric acid does not release hydrogen cyanide as it oxidizes the hydrogen cyanide immediately. Analytically, however, no cyanide can be directly detected in aqueous solutions of the complexes.
Use of complex compounds in the food industry
In the food industry, the cyano complexes sodium ferrocyanide (E 535, sodium hexacyanoferrate (II)), potassium ferrocyanide (E 536, potassium hexacyanoferrate (II)) and calcium ferrocyanide (E 538, calcium hexacyanoferrate (II)) are used as food additives. The salts are approved in small quantities as artificial flow aids, release agents and stabilizers for table salt and table salt substitutes.
The mechanism of cyanide poisoning occurs through the inhibition of the enzyme cytochrome c oxidase in the respiratory chain. Antidotes: 4-dimethylaminophenol hydrochloride (4-DMAP), sodium thiosulfate, hydroxocobalamin (vitamin B12a) = cyanokit, amyl nitrite.
The qualitative chemical detection of cyanides is done with Fe3+-Ions in hydrochloric acid solution after reaction with ammonium polysulphide. This creates the deep red colored iron thiocyanate Fe (SCN)3. However, it must be noted that this detection does not work in the presence of Fe (II) because of the formation of Prussian Blue, a complex of Fe (II) with hexacyanoferrate (III) as ligand.
Categories: Fabric Group | Cyanide | Pseudohalogen
- Is group sex joyful or painful
- How is currency speculation not theft
- What were the biggest songs on The Shangri Las
- Are plastics more harmful than useful
- Is there anything else about Judaism?
- What if we launch a rocket westward
- Know your genetic heritage
- Dak Prescott is an overrated NFL player
- What cannot be converted into energy
- Should I study regularly
- What is composting
- Have you ever been defended
- Is the Roseanne TV show canceled forever?
- Belongs to YouTube to Google
- What are the best audio book websites
- What is the ultimate energizer
- Is HCL not ionic
- Which makes Kejriwal blame Modi every time
- Which countries offer a starting visa?
- Is Bar Refaeli white or Jewish
- Why do teenagers like skimpy clothes?
- HubSpot is integrated into Google
- How much radium is there in the world
- Do GPS devices affect my vehicle's warranty
- How is the infrastructure at NIT Silchar
- How is India polluted
- Why do IT projects not use calculations
- What is involved in commercial law
- What is the Total Salary at BSPHCL
- Where does the term gay come from?
- What is shield grounding in a transformer
- What do you mean by neuroplasticity
- Do you like mutual funds