What can you suggest for insomnia
Insomnia: Changing sleeping habits is helpful
Many people sleep better on their vacation and wish that it would also be the same in everyday life. According to the Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG), it is not only the distance to everyday worries that is decisive for a good night's sleep. So, healthy sleeping habits can help you sleep well all year round. Medication can only help with insomnia in the short term. In the information published today on www.gesundheitsinformation.de, IQWiG reports on helpful sleep rules and the effectiveness of relaxation therapies. It provides information on how sleep changes over the course of life - and that not everyone needs eight hours of sleep.
Sleep pills are used less often today
Around one in five adults in industrialized countries struggles with insomnia at times. In order to be able to provide reliable information on this topic, IQWiG has analyzed scientific studies that cover a wide range of research on sleep and insomnia.
Sleeping pills - whether herbal or prescription-only - are now used less often in Germany than in the past. Plant-based products such as valerian have been used for a long time, but research into their effects is not very convincing.
"Prescription sleeping pills can be important in certain situations. However, they have a number of undesirable effects and are by no means a long-term solution. In older people, sleeping pills can increase the risk of falls and the risk of drug interactions," warns the head of IQWiG, Professor Dr . med. Peter Sawicki. "Sleep aids are also unsuitable for treating problems that may be causing insomnia, such as depression or pain."
Habits That Can Help People Sleep Better
Studies have shown that many people can fall asleep a little faster using relaxation techniques. This makes it easier for them to "switch off" when it is time to go to bed.
Research suggests that a combination of certain sleep rules could help people sleep better. This includes only going to bed when you are really ready and tired. On the other hand, watching TV and reading in bed can make it difficult to fall asleep. Those who cannot sleep are better off getting up and trying to do something other than falling asleep.
It is also helpful to get up at the same time each morning. When struggling with chronic insomnia, napping during the day may interfere with night sleep.
It is also important not to drink any caffeinated drinks or alcohol in the evening. "Most people know that coffee, cola or black tea disturb their sleep," says Professor Sawicki. "Less known is that alcohol is a major cause of poor sleep."
Not everyone needs eight hours of sleep a night
The institute also reviewed research on sleep duration. Studies have shown that, on average, you actually need less sleep as you get older. While children and adolescents usually sleep eight hours or more at night, people over forty usually only need seven hours.
The IQWiG websiteGesundheitsinformation.de provides the population with generally understandable and up-to-date information on medical developments and research results on important health issues. If you want to be kept up to date with the latest publications from the independent health website, you can subscribe to the Gesundheitsinformation.de newsletter.
Contact: [email protected]
- How do I generate traffic on Facebook
- Where's Denver
- Are horses vertebrates or invertebrates
- Witnessed PFC Bradley Manning's war crimes
- Will Neymar Jr join PSG this season?
- Are Bernie Sanders' policies immoral
- Is Linux better for students
- What are the best multidisciplinary universities
- What inspired you to start your website
- How to make aviation fuel
- Are there techniques for clearing the memory
- What is the Marmites Marketing Slogan
- We need help with marketing
- Where is stationery available?
- Where's Denver
- MIT junior colleges are good
- What is a denser medium
- Who invented the locomotive?
- What are old mountains
- Did Vlad the Pfaehler speak Romanian?
- What is the definition of memoir
- Should I study regularly
- How do I install a sump pump
- What is the need for crop improvement
- You can sleep through a heart attack
- How old is Mulana Tariq Jameel
- Who needs translation services
- Which films are coming out in 2021
- Should I learn c before c
- Where can I get circuitry for breadboard
- Where can I invest Rs 50,000
- Support Ted Cruz for free trade
- What are government jobs 2