The oil explodes when warmed up

Hazards at home

Hazards in one of the most dangerous environments.

 

At home!


The number of fire damage in households caused by cooking, deep-frying and grilling appliances as well as electrical kitchen appliances is not decreasing despite the latest technology and safety instructions from the manufacturer. Reports about kitchen and apartment fires go through the media every day. The consequences of these fires for people are often severe burns, smoke inhalation or even death. The property damage comes on top of that. There is always a risk of fire when cooking appliances such as B. electric and gas stoves, ovens, microwaves, bread makers, deep fryers, etc. are unattended, are used improperly, there is combustible material in the immediate vicinity or a technical defect occurs. Therefore, the following explanations should be observed.
 

Correct use of fat and oil on the stove, in deep fryers or fondues


Roasting and deep-fried food that is dripping wet must not be placed in hot fat or oil. Splashing fat or oil can cause burns to people and / or an open flame. At higher temperatures, oil or fat can self-ignite. This can already happen through uncontrolled heating on kitchen stoves or in cooking appliances. With old and contaminated grease / oil, the risk is even greater because the flash point is reduced

 

Therefore:

  • Dry the food to be roasted and deep-fried beforehand.
  • Use only pure fat or oil.
  • Replace contaminated and aged grease or oil in good time.
  • Do not fill in too much fat or oil.
  • Always supervise fat or oil when heating.
  • Watch out for overheating.
  • Switch off the device immediately after use.
  • Never extinguish burning fat or oil with water because of the risk of fat explosion.

 

What happens in the event of a fat explosion?
If the extinguishing agent water is used to extinguish fat fires, a fat explosion occurs. The water evaporates suddenly on the hot and burning fat. With the formation of water vapor, there is a huge expansion in volume and the many water vapor droplets carry fat particles with them. Due to the large combustion surface and the resulting good connection with oxygen, there is an explosion-like flash fire. The consequences are severe personal injury from burns and the fire spreads at lightning speed.


Correct behavior in the event of a fat fire:

  • Never extinguish with water.
  • Switch off the energy supply (electricity / gas).
  • If possible, slide a suitable lid over the pot.
  • Only use fire extinguishers that are suitable for grease fires and are marked accordingly.
  • Fire blankets or damp cloths / blankets are only partially suitable for fire fighting, as there is a risk of burns for the person and the spread of the fire.
  • If your own attempt to extinguish the fire is not possible or unsuccessful, contact the fire service immediately Emergency 112 call.
     

 

Extractor hoods and extractor hoods

The filters of extractor hoods and extractor hoods get dirty from the fat and kitchen fumes when cooking. Dirty filters are not only ineffective and unhygienic, they are also extremely flammable. This is due to the fact that the flash point of old, accumulated fat is extremely low and a flame on the stove immediately ignites the filter. In addition, the fat can drip off as a result of the heating and ignite on the hot stove.


Therefore:

  • Clean or replace dirty filters at regular intervals.

 


Fridges, freezers, dishwashers

Fridges and freezers are connected to the electrical supply around the clock. They run in continuous operation, so to speak. The heat exchangers of the built-in cooling compressors can get very hot, especially if the air supply is severely restricted due to the installation or installation and dust, dirt, etc. has also accumulated. Overheating can quickly lead to a fire in the device or apartment. Dishwashers can also become a fire hazard.
 

Therefore:

  • Ensure professional installation and sufficient air supply.

 

Electrical kitchen appliances
Smaller electrical kitchen appliances such as B. Coffee machines, kettles, toasters, bread makers, etc. are now a matter of course in every household. The movable electrical connection cables and the devices themselves are often heavily used. For example, they are often thoughtlessly disconnected from the mains by pulling the connection cable and not by pulling the plug. The devices are usually not designed for continuous operation, but are operated as a matter of course. In addition, the currents in extension cables / distribution sockets can add up to critical values ​​when several devices are operated at the same time. All of these stresses can lead to a fire.


Therefore:

  • Only use devices with VDE or VDE / GS approval marks.
  • Observe the operating instructions and manufacturer's instructions.
  • Do not leave electrical devices in continuous operation and never unattended.
  • Connect kitchen appliances via permanently installed sockets and not via table socket strips or extensions.

 

Source: Schleswig-Holstein State Fire Brigade Association