Maca Root Helps You Lose Weight
Maca: Superfood is really that healthy
It should support muscle building, improve performance and, at the same time, increase pleasure: The maca tuber from Peru is considered a new superfood in sports circles.
Maca powder is now found in some superfood powders for smoothies or smoothie bowls - with the promise: healthy nutrition and a better complexion in the twinkling of an eye.
FIT FOR FUN tells you what makes Maca so healthy, in what form you can take the tuber and what you should pay attention to when consuming it.
Why is maca so healthy?
- Strong bones: Maca contains a lot of zinc and calcium. The minerals are responsible for strengthening bones and teeth.
- Bye, inflammation:Maca contains mustard oil glycosides, secondary plant substances with an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effect. They are made up of amino acids.
- Good for your blood: As a source of iron, Maca is particularly suitable for vegeterarians and vegans who are looking for a plant-based source.
- Protect your heart: There is a lot of potassium in the tuber, which lowers high blood pressure. Potassium plays a role in the transmission of nerve impulses in the body and is therefore important for heart functions and the regulation of your blood pressure.
- Makes you resistant to stress: The high proportion of antioxidants such as selenium prevents oxidative stress, protects your body from free radicals and thus prevents cell damage and diseases. The antioxidants also ensure a beautiful complexion.
- For strong muscles:Maca contains around 14 grams of protein per 100 grams. The vegetable protein helps your body build muscle, the omega-3 fatty acids it contains also support regeneration.
Does Maca Help You Lose Weight?
Thanks to its high protein content of around 14 percent, the maca tuber can not only help you build muscle, but also help you lose weight.
As a vegan, you can add the powder to your daily smoothie or porridge and regularly increase your intake of vegetable protein.
Proteins are long-chain amino acids, they serve the body as building blocks of bones and muscles and are metabolized differently than, for example, carbohydrates or fat:
They boost the metabolism and burn calories during digestion. They also ensure that you feel full for a long time.
In addition, Maca contains valuable omgea-3 acids. These support your muscles in regeneration and growth. At the same time, omega-3 makes the muscle cells more receptive to insulin and thereby inhibits the build-up of body fat.
Maca: Nutrition Facts, Calories, and Ingredients
Fresh maca tubers contain around 80 percent water. However, since they are dried after harvest, the water content is reduced to around 10 percent.
In this state, maca contains about 55-70 percent easily digestible carbohydrates, 10-15 percent protein, 9 percent fiber and about 1 percent fat.
If you add maca to your smoothie, you turn it into a real nutrient bomb: Potassium, calcium, zinc, magnesium, iodine, phosphorus, manganese or iron - the powder gives the body vital nutrients.
The table shows the calories and the most important nutrients and ingredients of Maca powder:
|Nutrients and ingredients||in 100 grams (average)|
|Fat, including saturated fatty acids||0.4 g|
|Carbohydrates of which sugar||7 g|
What you should know about maca
Where does the maca tuber come from?
Maca belongs to the cruciferous family and is almost the only cultivated plant that survives at altitudes of up to 4500 meters.
In the Andes, Maca has long been considered a healing and tonic, the plant is said to preserve the fertility and strength of women and men.
Centuries ago, the Inca used maca as a tonic for their soldiers.
Apart from that, the plant was used in sacred rituals to increase fertility.
Three varieties: yellow, red and black
Yellow maca extracts are particularly common today. If a more precise name is not given for a food supplement, it is usually the yellow variety. It should help to increase concentration and performance.
On the other hand, black and red Maca varieties are less widespread; these are not so common in the harvesting regions.
For women going through menopause, powder and extracts of the red maca tuber are particularly suitable; it is said to increase libido and help with mood swings.
The black maca tuber is said to have the strongest effect, but it is the rarest of the three varieties. It should greatly improve mental concentration.
The roots of Maca taste sweet, as does the processed powder. This makes it ideal for smoothies or porridge. The leaves, on the other hand, have a sharp taste that is reminiscent of cress or radishes. They are eaten raw or cooked in South America.
How can I consume maca?
Here in Germany you will find maca almost exclusively as a dried dietary supplement in powder or capsule form. The tubers themselves are rarely found in health food stores or organic farmers.
Maca powder can be added to smoothies, shakes or dressings. It is also good in quark or muesli.
Depending on the recipe, the maca products differ in their strength, so you can follow the manufacturer's instructions for the dosage. Most manufacturers give doses between 5 and 20 grams of raw powder.
However, there is currently no general dosage recommendation for the powder. This can vary greatly depending on the state of health.
What are the side effects of Maca?
The Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR) emphasized in a statement that possible effects of Maca on the sexual organs or the hormone balance could cause undesirable side effects.
In addition, there were indications of gastrointestinal complaints, but so far there are no sufficient studies.
For this reason, the BfR has not yet indicated a harmless amount of maca in foods and dietary supplements.
However, there is nothing wrong with eating fresh, cooked maca bulbs. It is best to start with a low dose of the powder, which you can gradually increase if necessary.
Does Maca have an aphrodisiac effect?
In a systematic study, Chinese researchers determined the aphrodisiac properties of Maca.
Among other things, they found that the tuber had a positive effect on erectile dysfunction in men or sexual aversion in women.
However, the scientists make it clear that the evaluation of these studies is only to be regarded as a small indication of an aphrodisiac effect of the tuber, but not as a confirmation.
The same applies to further investigations. In a mini-study with 12 participants, men who had consumed maca for a long time had increased their sexual desire. Her ejaculation volume and total sperm count also increased.
In order to be able to make generally valid statements from these studies, such effects would have to be examined more precisely in the future, according to the Federal Institute for Risk Assessment.
Does the maca bulb come to Germany?
So far, Maca has mainly been grown and harvested in South America, only to be packaged in Germany and then sold at a higher price.
German researchers therefore think it makes sense to grow the plant directly in Germany in the future.
Scientists at the Institute for Crop Science want to take a closer look at maca and its cultivation in the future and are currently developing a specific cultivation system.
This should enable maca cultivation under the climatic conditions in Germany. We will soon find out more about the Andean plant and its effects.
FIT FOR FUN recipe with maca
Maca powder is particularly suitable for turning an ordinary shake into a real power cocktail. Have fun trying it out.
Recipe: Maca espresso drink
- Why do I get a headache every day
- Is Georgia Tech for Undergrad CS
- How do you convert angstroem to nanometers
- What is a strobe signal
- What is cramped space
- What is demyelination disorder
- Are there natural hot springs in Georgia?
- Can you explain the Gibbs equation for free energies?
- What is Waltham MA known for
- Why are horns seen as demonic
- Supports Intel Xe multiple GPUs
- How did your Tinder date go
- Who is Janhvi Kapoor
- How does Azure DevOps work
- Why do sunbaths swell
- The visualization improves the focus and the achievement of goals
- Why cannot cell respiration occur without photosynthesis
- What is the 3003 aluminum foil
- What are the ingredients to make chaffles
- How much programming do biomedical scientists know
- Why is financial inclusion in India low
- How many NRI accounts can I have
- How popular is Alibaba outside of China
- Should I work in a grocery store?