What is DNA polymerase in prokaryotes
to directory mode
Area of Expertise - Biochemistry, genetic engineering
The enzyme DNA polymerase catalyzes the synthesis of DNA polynucleotides by attaching nucleoside phosphates to a strand of DNA. The substrates are the four different 2'-deoxyribonucleotides dATP, dGTP, dCTP and dTTP, with each extension step forming a new phosphodiester bond and releasing pyrophosphate. The synthesis always proceeds in the direction from 5 'to 3', i.e. the newly added nucleotide building block is attached to the free 3'-hydroxyl group of the growing DNA polymer. DNA polymerases cannot de novo- Carry out synthesis of DNA, but basically require a so-called primer made of DNA or RNA, with which the first new nucleotide can be linked.
Three types of DNA polymerase, referred to as Pol I, Pol II, and Pol III, have been identified in bacteria. Pol III is the main polymerase used to replicate genomic DNA before cell division. It has 3 '-> 5' exonuclease activity, which is a proof-readingFunction enables. Pol I is involved in DNA repair processes and has both 5 '-> 3' and 3 '-> 5' exonuclease activity. Pol II appears to play a role in the replication of damaged DNA. Different types of DNA polymerases also exist in eukaryotic cells, but the number of variants is greater.
See also: Taq polymerase
Learning units in which the term is dealt with
Genetic engineering tools45 min.
biochemistryWorking methodsGenetic engineering
Presentation of the most important enzymes and their use in genetic engineering
- Can I use Contour as a bronzer?
- Why are some people allergic to milk
- What is a single journal entry
- What exactly are frequencies
- Is there an equivalent to IRC today
- What are the medical treatments for leukemia
- How many people can speak Esperanto 1?
- Companies using big data should empower employees
- What should you do after tooth extraction
- Which cell phones have GPS trackers
- Which Spanish club team is the strongest
- Which VCs are most active in Africa?
- Which is better GRIET or Srinidhi
- How does Deal4loans make money
- Why is portal considered the best game
- Why are horns seen as demonic
- Light has speed in a vacuum
- Who is better Busquets or Fernandinho
- What is 2 2 2 5 7
- How do I read BIND source code
- Blockchain is still popular
- Why has Microsoft reduced the functionality in Outlook
- How can we automate onboarding in the HR department
- Which continent does New Zealand belong to
- Is the solar system in space
- How is South Africa for the doctoral program
- What are the best Xbox One exclusives
- What is a chiton
- Education shows for older children are dead
- Have computer hearts
- What time of year is good for training in the gym
- We have to defend our faith
- Where should I start reading X Men
- Which boiler is the best