What is demyelination disorder
A newly discovered antibody linked to severe neurological autoimmune diseases in children could lead to faster diagnosis and improved treatment for those with the disease.
Researchers identified the myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein (MOG) antibody in a study that included 535 children with central nervous system (CNS) demyelination disorders and encephalitis.
MOG antibodies damage the so-called myelin sheath, a protective covering made of nerve fibers in the brain and spinal cord, and thus impair the transmission of stimuli via neuronal connections. Research over the past 10 years indicates that several demyelinating diseases are associated with the MOG antibody and that affected patients often respond well to immunotherapy.
Of the 116 children who tested positive for MOG antibodies and then received immunotherapy, 85% experienced a full or near recovery, the researchers reported in The Lancet Neurology on Feb.10.
According to the authors, the results suggest that the MOG antibody can be associated with more neurological autoimmune diseases than previously thought, e.g. neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders or autoimmune encephalitis. This group of CNS disorders is similar in its symptoms to multiple sclerosis, which often makes it difficult to make a correct diagnosis.
A correct and early diagnosis, e.g. through a test for the MOG antibody, could pave the way for the treatment of demyelinating diseases in children with immunosuppressants and prevent treatment with MS-specific drugs, which might be ineffective.
- Who has the best camping website
- How do I report a UPS driver
- How would dimethyl sulfate react with water
- Can dogs eat canned tuna?
- What marketing techniques does Ancestry com
- How effective are distance learning systems
- What is categorical cross-entropy loss
- Why is the goddess called Kali Kala
- What is 4G LTE VoLTE
- What's wrong with Jay Leno
- Why don't women come up to me?
- Border people should pay taxes
- Is as hot as it is hot
- SGPGI is a government hospital
- Why did Pakistan downgrade relations with Indo Pak
- Can teachers and lecturers make mistakes?
- How many types of transformer losses
- How big is the business intelligence market
- What is keyword and identifier in C.
- What is a Conservative's policy
- Should I take chemistry or computer science
- Do you like rap or country
- What is your motivation to learn python
- What is cramped space