How to install Octave on Windows
Also this year, the use of computers brought along should be actively supported. The LS-III team has prepared download images for this, which include a specially adapted version of GNU Octave and a selection of suitable editors. For the installation we offer on Thursday, September 24th as Friday, September 25th, from 10:00 to 16:00 in room M / 911 installation support.
Below are illustrated instructions for installing the download images on Windows and Mac OSX.
Download the following file to your computer and save it e.g. on your desktop or on a USB stick.
Download image Octave-3.6.2-Windows.zip for Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8
Right click on the file and select "Extract All". Confirm the following dialog with "OK". A new "Octave-3.6.2-Windows" folder is created in the same folder as the ZIP file.
Double click on the folder. Some directories and some command files for starting the various software components appear. You can start them by double-clicking on the respective software component:
- : Starts Gnuplot.
- : Starts the text editor jedit.
- : Starts the text editor.
- : Starts the Octave command line.
: Starts the text editor.
Start Octave by double-clicking on "octave". The Octave command line opens. Enter the command "sombrero". A window with a graphic output should open.
NOTE: The first time it may take a while for the window to open (approx. 2-3 minutes).
Further notes and known problems:
The content of the unzipped folder is approx. 1.3 GB. The zip file itself is 680 MB. Sufficient space (approx. 2 GB) must therefore be available on the desktop / on the USB stick. The ZIP file can be deleted after unpacking.
The software package contains the three text editors "jedit", "pspad" and "notepad ++". "Jedit" is mainly used in the lecture. Which editor you want to use is up to you.
jedit requires Java. If Java is not installed, a double click on "jedit" starts the installation of Java. If so, follow the instructions on the screen. Alternatively, you can get the current Java version here: http://www.java.com/
The following problem can occur under Windows 8 / 8.1: The Octave input line is missing and the "sombrero" command shows no picture..
In most cases, this can be resolved by:
- Go to the Octave-3.6.2-Windows folder.
- Right click on "octave" and select "Edit".
- An editor opens. You will find the following line in the file:
Octave \ bin \ octave.exe Add "-i --line-editing" to this line so that the line looks like this:
Octave \ bin \ octave.exe -i --line-editing
- Save the file and exit the editor
- A restart of Octave (double click on "octave") should fix the problem.
Manual installation (optional)
The installation packages for all software packages used are located in the "Downloads" subdirectory. As an alternative to the method described above, you can use these packages to install the software components locally on a computer. jedit, Notepad ++ and PSPad then create entries in the start menu.
Octave only has to be unpacked (there is no installation program here), for this you can use decompression programs such as "WinRAR". Both 7z files have to be unpacked into the same directory. Then the following commands must be executed in the Octave command line:octave: 1> pkg rebuild -noauto octave: 2> pkg rebuild -auto symbolics
Close the Octave command line (command) and start it again. Octave including the "symbolics" package is then available for symbolic calculations.
Download the appropriate image for your Mac computer
You can find out which OSX version is installed on your Mac computer by clicking on the apple symbol in the menu and selecting "About this Mac"
Make sure you can also install unsigned packages (the packages we offer are unsigned). To do this, open the "Security" dialog and check "No restrictions":After following the steps below, you can undo this change.
Then open the DMG file by double-clicking it. The following window will appear
Drag the application Octave and, if necessary, one of the two editors jEdit or Notepad ++ in the directory Programs. Start Octave
and enter the command in the terminal that appearsoctave: 1> sombrero
a. The following window should open
It is possible that the X11 support required for Octave is not installed on your Mac computer.
- With OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and 10.7 (Lion), X11 support can be installed from the installation DVD. Video installation guide
- As of OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion), X11.app is no longer supplied by Apple and is referred to the open source XQuartz project. There is also a KnowledgeBase article on this.
- What are menacing rap music
- What was your GPA in middle school
- Are you sure that God exists
- Will Moyes be released tomorrow
- What is Immoral Sexual Behavior
- What is the best app for downloading games
- What is a geomagnetic pole
- ReCaptchas got harder
- Which lifestyle habits can cause indigestion?
- What are good alternatives to Sage HR
- What was your most unpleasant concert experience
- What is your favorite YouTube music video
- How much vibranium does TChalla have
- How are Rossi guns advertised
- How is a coffee filter made
- Which emulator is best for PUBG
- Blood thinners cause cerebral haemorrhage
- Why is politics so complicated to understand
- Why am I the chosen one?
- How can we stop social crimes
- Where should I promote the dating app
- How long does it take for the gelatine to set
- Will Volunia be successful
- Do you look better in sunglasses?